Sunday, May 11, 2014

Chopsticks by Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral


Told exclusively through photographs, IMs, postcards, and other ephemera, this sweet and easy read will leave you feeling something in the short amount of time it takes you to read it.

The story follows Glory, who, after the death of her mother, becomes obsessed with music. She later meets Francisco, a boy from Argentina, and they embark on a relationship full of difficult decisions.

The usage of pictures to tell this story was absolutely beautiful. With its rather bleak beginning, the story could have ended in any combination of ways, and I did not expect  it to end the way it did. However, it was so amazing, a bit of closure that made my heart ache. The symbolism in this book was also very sweet, especially the way Chopsticks relates to the relationship between the two main characters.

I was stunned at how powerful a story comprised solely of pictures could be. It took me about an hour to read and absorb the beautiful photography, as well as its various meanings. But I feel like this story will stick with me long after. Not only was this a graciously put together book, but a gorgeous story about love and life. I really adore and recommend it.



No comments:

Post a Comment