Monday, February 23, 2015

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout



This book. I wanted to hate it. I should have hated it. But somehow, I didn’t. Don’t get me wrong, there are a few things I did indeed hate about this book, one of them being Daemon, the main character’s love interest. However, despite its several flaws and bad relationship, I enjoyed it. Something about it made me want to keep reading. It was an overall fun book, and each time I put it down I looked forward to picking it back up.

I’ll begin with the elements of this book that I did like. The writing, though simple, was very easy and quick to read. It wasn’t anything spectacular, but it was pleasant, nonetheless. The main character, Katy, was likable for the most part. She seemed fairly realistic, someone you could easily relate to and be friends with. There is a tiny bit of character growth, but she mostly remained unchanged.

Katy’s character did have her flaws, however. The most obvious one that is focused on throughout the book, is her overwhelming attraction to Daemon, her alien neighbor. I disliked Daemon so much. He is portrayed as a flawlessly attractive guy with perfect abs and piercing eyes. But there is nothing at all attractive or likable about Daemon. He is a straight up asshole. From his first encounter with Katy, he acts ignorant, arrogant and very mean to Katy. Throughout the book he flip-flops from this terrible jerk to a temporarily caring and kind guy. And Katy gets fooled time and time again. She knows what a jerk he is, and yet her intense sexual attraction for him is too overwhelming to ignore. What I don’t understand is how one can be so physically attracted to someone who is such an ass? It isn’t realistic or plausible. Regardless, their relationship is nothing short of being screwed up. Daemon verbally treats Katy like crap and is mentally abusive to her. He blames her for nearly getting potentially raped and killed. And not to spoil anything, but the end of chapter 26 really pissed me off and showed what a true asshole Daemon is.

Aside from Daemon being a terrible person, Obsidian was a somewhat predictable book. It continuously reminded me of Twilight, in more than one aspect. Dee was a pretty nice character, even though she was clearly just a pawn to the main focus of the book- Daemon and Katy’s relationship.

The alien thing was equally disappointing and enjoyable. I wouldn’t call what Daemon and Dee are aliens, as they were far from any definition of the term I can think of. Instead, they were a completely other type of being that I thought was unique and refreshing.

Although the relationship in this book was awful, and its resemblance to Twilight off-putting, I did enjoy reading Obsidian. The well-written main character made it easy to read and enjoy, despite its many downfalls. I likely won’t pick up the next book in the series, as the ending hints toward it being all about Katy and Daemon’s relationship. I’m not sure what all the hype is about for this series, unfortunately.


No comments:

Post a Comment