Tuesday, March 17, 2015

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


Having finally read City of Bones, I only wish I had picked it up sooner. For a while I was hesitant to read it, knowing it was about angels and demons, which I’m not usually interested in. However, this book was so, so good, truly engaging and enjoyable. With its unique twist on angels and demons, and the addition of faeries, it was exactly the type of book that I can’t help but fall for.

The action and adventure in this book was ongoing, while still leaving room for relationships to develop and a dash of humor to be thrown in. The plot was so intriguing, from beginning to end, making this a thrilling and fun read. There were many plot twists, betrayals, and moments of shock, most of which were not at all predictable. Because of its continuing excitement, I flew through this book, despite its size.

The writing was very nice, with beautiful descriptions and a mood that fit the story perfectly. I loved the settings, the combination of grimy abandoned places, and beautifully antiqued architecture. The writing was also very similar to author Holly Black’s, who I’ve heard is good friends with Cassandra Clare. Along with the writing style, the subject matter was also very similar Holly’s books. However, I honestly can’t complain, being that I love Holly’s books as well, and there are some clear differences between the two. If anything, their similar writing style was comforting and very enjoyable.

Something I found Clare does extremely well, is her characters and their relationships with one another. The relationship between Clary and Jace was a perfect example of a pair who doesn’t necessarily get along, but does have romantic interest in one another. The banter between them was funny and refreshing, without going over the top, like some awful book couples I’ve recently read (*cough* Obsidian *cough*). Not just those two, but all of the characters and their regards toward each other was genuine and real. The unrequited love was achingly good, and the friendship between unlikely people grew with this story. I truly loved all of the main characters.

While the world building was great, and many things were left open to continue to the next book, I was still slightly annoyed by the lack of resolution when it came to Valentine. After so many plot twists and secrets revealed, I felt like it lacked just one thing- Valentine’s side of the story. I’m sure this was a writing tactic, in order to continue with the series, so I hope it will be discovered in the next book.

City of Bones was an exciting, funny, and action-filled book. Its characters, setting and plot were all executed beautifully. I am so happy to have finally read it, and I cannot wait to keep reading this series. I highly recommend City of Bones to everyone. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment