Saturday, May 9, 2015

Easy by Tammara Webber


With a beautiful romance and addictive plot, this book was so easy to get into and fall in love with. Despite my awful pun, it truly was a great New Adult novel that is definitely going on my list of favorite books. It contained a few minor flaws, but not enough for me to give it any less than five stars.

I have been hesitant to get into the New Adult genre because of the drama based plots and lots sex scenes that I try to avoid. But on a whim, I decided to pick up Easy, knowing it would contain both of these things. However, I was relieved and ecstatic to discover that if not overdone, both these things can be enjoyable and really bring a lot to the story. That is what I found to be true while reading Easy.

One of my favorite things about this book was the fact that it was so much fun to read, while still including a very serious topic. It had a combination of friendship, romance, and real life issues perfectly incorporated into the fast-moving, fun plot. Although the writing was simple, this story had a very strong plot and set of characters. Using a college campus setting, Webber took realistic views of sexual assault, and used them to create an amazing progression of the story. Each character dealt with the situation differently, as people do in real life. Also, let me just say the girl power in this book was so good! Despite the potentially dark topic, this wasn’t a dark book. With parties, friendship, boy drama, and the main character Jacqueline's spicy relationship, it was such a fun read.

Luckily for me, it didn’t have the crazy sex scenes I dislike. However, it did have a lot of hot and heavy make out sessions and foreplay scenes. But I thought they were written so well that I actually really enjoyed reading them. The intimacy between Jacqueline and Lucas was so vital to the story, and it progressed well as the story went on.

Jacqueline’s character growth throughout this book was amazing. It was subtle for most of the book, but by the end I was actually proud of her for fighting back against her abuser. She did things she was afraid to do, in order to help herself and another girl. She overcame her past relationship, and she allowed herself to open up to not only Lucas, but her best friend Erin. She was such a strong and enjoyable character to read about.

The two main side characters were also very well done. Erin, Jacqueline’s best friend and roommate, was strong from the beginning, always knowing what she wants. Their relationship was typical, the secondary character being outgoing and insistent to the quieter main character. While that bugged me at first, Erin was really a great friend. She was funny at times, and comforting to Jacqueline when she needed to be. I could tell that their friendship was genuine.

Lucas’s character seemed less developed at first. For a lot of the book, Jacqueline doesn’t know a lot about him. Yet as she learns about him, his true self starts to come through. By the end of the book, he opens himself up completely and I was left both proud of him, and wanting to hear more of his side of the story.

There were only a few incomplete things I would have liked more of. Jacqueline’s gay classmate, Benji, was nice, not a stereotypical gay character. I would have loved to have him incorporated just a bit more, instead of just being an accessory to the storyline. It also would have been more realistic if Jacqueline’s parents had been incorporated more. But at this point, I’m really just nit-picking, because this book was so well done.

I flew through this book, and I fully enjoyed it. It was both serious and fun, a fantastic read. The plot twists were heart-stopping and effective. I’m so happy with how the story ended. After reading just one of her books, I can say that I am easily becoming a fan of Webber’s work. I can’t wait to pick up the next book in this series (told in Lucas’s point of view!)


No comments:

Post a Comment